Role and skill mapping of 400+ workforce for Fortune 100 tech company.
At a Fortune 100 technology company, cybersecurity leadership was reevaluating their talent development strategy for current and future employees.
With more than 400 practitioners and plans to hire 150 employees more, they were determined to find a solution to address the following priorities:
- Create clear cybersecurity career pathways
- Better define job roles and categorize job families
Improve acquisition and onboarding of qualified talent
Leadership wanted a workforce development framework based on data—current roles, accurate job families, and mobility within career paths.
The client partnered with CyberVista, now N2K, to help mobilize their new workforce plan from the ground up, beginning with an assessment of the company’s entire cybersecurity department. This was accomplished by:
- Conducting a job inventory to review its 400 existing cybersecurity jobs. The organization was planning a restructure and wanted to determine the best way to prioritize updating current roles and future hiring initiatives. Many of the job descriptions were ten years old, so those were also updated along with job responsibilities.
- Identifying skills in cyber job roles. The organization and N2K interviewed stakeholders across various cyber business units to conduct a thorough analysis of the job roles, then used the feedback to understand the nuances of the different roles and recategorize them into more functional job families.
- Evaluating market trends. The company evaluated the market landscape, trends, and future job hierarchies to inform hiring and onboarding strategies for the next generation of cyber talent. A thorough analysis of market trajectory also allowed them to provide solutions for training and career development.
- Mapping to the NICE Framework. The company worked to identify, aggregate, and audit all cybersecurity job roles and responsibilities to ensure accuracy and relevance in accordance with the NICE Framework. This allowed a clearer roadmap for job requirements and critical skills.
- Hosting alignment sessions with partners and its consultant. Leadership and N2K engaged with external HR market intelligence and specialist teams to understand market salary trends and industry benchmarks. N2K also engaged with these partners to provide skill and competency input to refine job descriptions, HR management, and future staff training requirements.
An Employer-Driven Training Model
The company took workforce development into its own hands by taking the initiative to map its current workforce and plan for future cybersecurity personnel needs. The initial analysis helped N2K develop a roadmap of cyber career pathways, and informed the creation of a training framework that would not only teach the conceptual and practical skills needed to perform the duties of a particular role, but also give aspiring or transitioning cybersecurity talent actionable direction and efficient interventions for advancement.
In the end, the process created five additional cyber job families, allowing the organization to build compensation and hiring plans more aligned with specialized roles.
In addition to the functional job families, they also created a leadership role based on the business skills required in cyber management. Overall, the process positively impacted more than 460 team members, and its market intelligence team priced 44 new jobs.
Moving forward, the organization will continue to monitor the market for trends and refine the job family structure. It plans on using the detailed skill taxonomy N2K created to provide performance-based career mobility, identify skills gaps, and establish training plans for staff to upskill or reskill between job roles.
Finally, they are working to create a diverse pipeline of security professionals starting at the most junior levels who will have a clear pathway and training options for advancement within their organization.
Gain the visibility and insights you need to transform your workforce.
Whether you're looking to elevate your teams or amplify your message, N2K's strategic workforce intelligence capabilities have all the tools to help you achieve your goals. Fill out this form to help our experts personalize your experience.